Friday, November 9, 2007

Baby Books Galore

Nothing could have prepared Mommy and Daddy for my arrival. Oh, but they tried their best... there is no doubt about that! They must have read over 20 books on the topic (see their library below)


Two key books in the pile are "Babywise" and "The Happiest Baby on the Block". These books have been read over and over again. Mommy would like to re-title these books to a more appropriate name, given her experience implementing these methods:


Babywise is good in theory- WHEN YOUR BABY IS NOT ONE WEEK OLD! The concept is simple- feed the baby, play/wake time, then put the baby to sleep. Well Mommy and Daddy tried to implement this method right out the gates. They were reading to me, playing with me, saying ABCs and shaking rattles in my face. This was just too much for my little brain to handle at the tender age of 2 days old. But I will admit that just recently we tried the Babywise system once again and I had a much better time... I even slept most of last night!

The other book, The Happiest Baby on the Block is wonderful. Dr. Harvey believes there is a 4th trimester that babies enter after they are born. Parents needs to recreate the womblike atmosphere by implementing the 5 S's: Swaddle, side lying, sucking, swinging, and last but definitely my favorite is 'SHHHHUSHing'. These easy methods turn on my calming reflexes, but poor Mommy and Daddy almost pass out from lack of oxygen they exert by shushing me!

The good news is I am slowly learning and giving Mommy and Daddy their much needed sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment